Peru fast facts
Key cross-sectoral policies:
National Green Growth Strategy for 2016-2021
Key thematic and sectoral action areas in 2017:
Green jobs and teleworking
Natural resource management (forests and water)
Peru has committed itself to undertaking a far-reaching, ambitious green growth development pathway. PAGE’s engagement in Peru has the overall objective of integrating the concept of green growth into national development planning, including:
- National Strategic Plan for Development: Peru 2021
- Guidelines for Green Growth
- National Green Growth Strategy
PAGE’s work will support the country’s fulfillment of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development Declaration on Green Growth and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.
Peru is achieving this through:
- Supporting the development of national and sectoral green growth policies with evidence-based analysis
- Convening and collaborating with a wide range of stakeholders from the public and private sectors and from civil society
- Putting a strong focus on communication and outreach to foster active involvement from relevant actors
Progress in 2017: A Snapshot
Measuring Green Economy Impact
PAGE has been supporting the development and dissemination of a green growth policy impact assessment.
- compares the long-term impact of green growth scenarios and business as usual and
- lays out green growth policies and indicators for the forestry, agriculture and transport sectors.
A broader dissemination strategy has been drafted and is being implemented by PAGE in order to reach other targeted audiences such as the private sector, workers organizations, civil society, academy, international cooperation and donors.
Boosting Green Jobs through Teleworking
Teleworking forms a strategic axis within Peru's national strategy for Green Jobs. In 2017, PAGE has been:
- contributing to the formulation of the national policy for the promotion of teleworking.
- promoting the benefits of Teleworking as “a mechanism to improve productivity" amongst both the public and the private sector.
PAGE continues to support the Green Industry Policy in Peru through:
- Technical assistance
- Convening workshops with key stakeholders
PAGE also organised a productive dialogue on circular economy between the National Steering Committee and the Ellen MacArthur Foundation right after the first National Green Industry Forum held in Lima in 2017.
Improving waste management
At the sectoral level, PAGE has been involved with the formulation of a joint project on “Waste Management in Arequipa” with the participation of the Ministries of Labour and of Environment and the Poverty and Environment Initiative (PEI).
The focus has been placed on the provision of training for recyclers in Arequipa around business and waste management to guarantee the sustainability of their business activities and for the promotion of green jobs.