China, Jiangsu Province fast facts
Key cross-sectoral policies:
Provincial Five Year Plan
Key thematic and sectoral action areas in 2017:
Inclusive Green Economy indicators
Green trade for promoting renewable energy
Capacity-building on global value chains and entrepreneurship
Green development has been placed at the heart of national development strategies and priorities in China. Jiangsu province and PAGE are committed to building a resource efficient, inclusive and thriving economy through the implementation of:
PAGE is helping transform Jiangsu’s economy into a driver of sustainability through:
- Identifying and sharing success stories at the provincial and sub-provincial levels, and within the private sector, to inspire other provinces and countries to embrace green economy
- Identifying and analyzing major barriers to an inclusive green economy transition
Progress in 2017: A Snapshot
Measuring progress with green economy indicators
Identifying and developing green economy indicators can help provincial policymakers monitor long-term progress towards a green economy transition, and identify how the region’s transition compares to others. PAGE provides technical and financial support for the development of Green Economy Progress Indicators at provincial level in Jiangsu, including:
- expert workshops
- database development
Green economy academy
PAGE has put green economy learning at the top of its agenda. Its 2017 Green Economy Academy in Jiangsu, which gathered more than 50 participants, covered key green economy topics such as:
- Green Finance
- Green Industrial & Fiscal policy
- Natural Capital Accounting
- Integrated approaches to implement the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
The target audience included more than 50 participants including environmental scholars, policymakers and front-line environmental bureau officers from seven municipalities in Jiangsu.
Green industry transition
PAGE, with the support from the Beijing Institute of Technology, is working on the development of a Green Industry Progress (GIP) Index.
- assesses progress of green industrialization in 18 other provinces including Jiangsu
- provides insights into where further improvements in policy actions are required.
Boosting green trade
In June 2017, a workshop on "Unlocking South-South Trade in Environmental Goods and Services in Jiangsu" was held in Nanjing for over 50 participants from local governments, business associations, environmental companies, international organizations, and environmental NGOs.
Discussions focused on:
- global and national trends in trade in Environmental Goods and Services
- Jiangsu’s experience in trade in renewable energy and environmental technologies
- the opportunities and challenges of expanding green trade with developing countries.
Through the green trade work stream, new partnerships have been built with the trade and investment community and has also helped to get private sector partners on-board with PAGE.