Burkina Faso fast facts
Key cross-sectoral policies:
The National Programme for Economic and Social Development (PNDES 2016-2020)
Key thematic and sectoral action areas in 2017:
Inclusive Green Economy learning
PAGE's work in Burkina Faso continues to focus on the integration of inclusive green economy goals and targets into national planning documents. The government of Burkina Faso has shown its commitment to green economy through adopting:
A National Programme for Economic and Social Development
As well as through developing:
A National Strategy for Green Economy
- Providing support for design and adoption of the National Strategy for Green Economy and its Action Plan
- Supporting the government's efforts to green priority sectoral policies
- Building individual and institutional capacity on inclusive green economy
- Raising awareness about the benefits of green economy transition
Progress in 2017: A Snapshot
Strategy for the future
PAGE has been supporting the government on the development of a National Green Economy Strategy, along with a three-year action plan. The aim of the strategy is to strengthen the integration of green economy in all sectors with a focus on:
- green jobs
- sustainable consumption and production
- sustainable trade
- green finance
- combatting climate change
- and national capacity building on green economy.
In 2017, PAGE supported the government in the process of elaborating a draft of the strategy through technical advisory feedback.
Burkina Faso is focusing its efforts to green its industrial sector. PAGE is supporting the government to incorporate the findings of a green industry assessment into the country’s industrial policy. These findings range from how to:
- have a more inclusive green economy,
- encourage green industrial practices and sustainable trade.
Burkina Faso is promoting green employment for the youth and green entrepreneurship in the agricultural sector.
In November 2017, 5 participants from Burkina Faso attended a training of trainers on green entrepreneurship in Senegal.
Bolstering green economy capacities
PAGE is working with United Nations Institute for Training and Research and the University of Ouagadougou II, in the identification of learning needs and existing institutional capacities on inclusive green economy principles and processes . The results will help to tailor the right education and training on green economy issues in Burkina Faso.