Brazil, Mato Grosso State fast facts
Key cross-sectoral policies:
Produce, Conserve, and Include Strategy
Key thematic and sectoral action areas in 2017:
Agriculture and land use planning
Inclusive Green Economy learning
Mato Grosso State of Brazil celebrated joining PAGE on 10 November 2016. The Government of this State is committed towards addressing its environmental challenges with the promotion of new economic activities and technologies, as well as the rehabilitation of natural resources.
PAGE is supporting the government to develop a green economy model with an emphasis on:
- the generation of green employment opportunities
- poverty eradication
Progress in 2017: A Snapshot
Taking Stock; Towards a Green Inclusive Economy
PAGE is working with the government in the implementation of its Produce, Conserve, and Include Strategy.
To do this, PAGE has been supporting the development of a Stocktaking Report which :
- provides an overview of the environmental, ecological and socioeconomic policies implemented at both national and state levels;
- identifies the opportunities for policy reform towards a green and inclusive economy; and
- looks at the extensive role of agriculture, cattle ranching, forestry and biodiversity in the economic growth of Mato Grosso.
Greening the agricultural sector
In 2018, PAGE will support a State Development Plan for Smallholder Agriculture and Extraction of National Resources.
The aim is to transition from importing 70% of the State’s food from other Brazilian States, to guaranteeing that 70% of demand is met through local production.
Additionally, PAGE will conduct a mapping and analysis of supply chains of smallholder agriculture and extractive operations to:
- identify new market opportunities
- promote peri-urban family agriculture
- prepare strategies to increase income generation and employment in these sectors.
Green economy learning
In 2018, and in support of boosting green economy learning, PAGE will be supporting Mato Grosso State to:
- conduct a learning needs assessment amongst government institutes
- support the institutionalization of green economy research and learning in the academic sector
- support awareness raising and capacity development among state government employees and the general public.